Since the beginning of September 2016 St. Mark’s has welcomed more than forty new children to the school in addition to the intake in Reception.
‘Sunbeams’ is a nurture group for newly arrived children.
- All new arrivals joining years one to six will be placed in the ‘Sunbeams’ group.
- The ‘Sunbeams’ group takes place on four mornings per week between 8.50 a.m. and 10.30 a.m.
- The group is run by Mrs D. Wiltshaw (Inclusion Teacher) and support staff.
- All new pupils will be shown around the school and made aware of key members of staff which will be reinforced using photographs.
- Each child will be provided with a diary to record their progress.
- A checklist will be completed at the end of the first week by Sunbeams staff and also by the class teacher. If the child has settled well and has no additional language or support needs they will exit the group.
- The child will have targets set if they remain in the group.
- The teaching focus in the group will be nurture, developing social skills and basic language.
- A language assessment and basic number screen will be done if required.
- A further assessment will be done at the end of four weeks in the group. Children may exit the group at this point or remain in the group for a further two weeks (maximum of six weeks).
- When children exit the group, they will be given an EAL profile, self-help pack and support plan. These will be monitored half-termly by the InclusionTeacher and /or Inclusion Leader.
A quote from an External Consultant, ‘Sunbeams’ is a nurture class which has had a positive impact on new pupils ensuring that they develop some English, feel secure in their new school and can be accurately assessed (baseline).’ (External Review Oct 2015)
Back to top